What Is Web Hosting? Part 2
Key Terms & Concepts to Know
Last month we gave you an introduction to some key terms you are going to want to know to help you choose the best web host. This month, we continue in that vein with a few other important web hosting terms.
Domains — ComPAIR Prices!
A domain is a specialized identifier for a person or business. It is the web address that you type in to access a website. Every domain name is registered with a web hosting company like Pair.
Pair offers website domains with lots of advantages, including pricing, offering the quintessential $8 .com, which is often $4 less than competitors. With your comparatively inexpensive, unique domain name and domain hosting comes:
- DNS or Domain Name System — This system resolves the names of internet sites with their underlying IP addresses, adding efficiency and security in the process. Changes to our name servers are available within seconds.
- Website Design— Design without coding via our drag-and-drop builder
- Web & Email Forwarding
- Free Whois Privacy — Helps prevent people from accessing public information about your name, e-mail address, phone number, and postal address from domain name registration records.
An SSL Certificate shows users that the website they’re visiting is extra secure. A URL beginning with an “https://” means that a site has an SSL certificate.
Pair offers your domains FREE SSL certificates through the industry trusted Let’s Encrypt. It is renewed automatically for you every 90 days.
You must have an SSL certificate for Google to send people to your site. It’s their way of helping to ensure that the sites they find are secure. So, an SSL will definitely increase your search engine optimization results. Plus, it gives visitors great peace of mind.
If you are looking for more advanced SSL protection, look no further than PairSSL. As a preferred web hosting site, we offer a wide range of certificate types to meet your needs starting at just $10 per year. Plans include:
- SiteSeal — a visual indicator for your site that lets your visitors know that your organization values online security and privacy.
- Relying Party Warranty — providing possible relief to individuals whose reliance on the information contained in an SSL Certificate results in a loss of money due to a fraudulent charge to their credit card by the holder of an SSL.com-issued certificate.
- 24-7, US Based, Real Human Support
Shared Hosting — The Most Widely Used Hosting Plans
Shared web hosting involves multiple users sharing a single server, so CPU, memory, disk space, etc. are common between users. This is best for smaller websites that will not congest server resources. They are:
- Easy to use
- Automatically updated by your host
At Pair, the advantages of our shared hosting plan are many. They include:
- Website design without coding via our drag-and-drop builder
- Automatic malware scanning
- 500 custom email addresses
- 24/7 access to live, real human, US-based support
- No contract
- Unlimited site and domain hosting
- No fees to scale your shared hosting plan up or down
- Free SSL certificates through Let’s Encrypt
Downsides? Shared resources means just that. You are sharing, so your site can be affected by another site’s usage (imagine four people taking a hot shower at the same time with one hot water heater). More importantly, if the server is hacked, everyone is vulnerable.
If your site is not highly trafficked and you are not gathering tons of personal customer identity information, shared hosting is a good, affordable option.
In addition to helping you understand everything you need to know about how to choose a domain and web hosting site, Pair’s goal is to provide customers like you with turn-key website development, operation and security.
Still have questions? Feel free to visit us or talk to one of our friendly, knowledgeable (live) customer service experts!
Article by Leslie Anne McIlroy